WHY DIVORCE AND SEPARATION ARE ONE OF EUFASA’s CONCERNS
When a couple separates abroad the problems, especially for the spouse, are much more difficult to solve than for a comparable couple living steadily in a familiar environment in the home country.
The actual situation is: whatever problem arises that has to be solved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) can only be solved via the MFA Officer as there is no legal relationship between the MFA and the spouse. This causes many difficulties.
The main problems in this context that the spouse has to face are:
- Payment of the removal and return flight
- Receiving financial support from the MFA directly into his/her account
Problems the spouse has to face when returning home:
- Resettlement back home
- Finding a job after his/her career has been interrupted several times over the years in order to earn a living and to pay into a pension fund
- Possibly being responsible for the resettlement of the couple’s children
Foreign born spouses (FBS) have additional problems like:
- Obtaining the citizenship of MFA Officer’s home country
- Obtaining a work permit
- Lack of language skills
- Recognition of diplomas
- Health insurance.
- Pension rights